One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘quants use computers to tell them what to buy and sell’short for quantitative analyst
- ‘When quant jocks argue with each other, the usual response is for the better informed one to chuck a file full of data at the offender and say ‘you do the math’.’
- ‘Was it the quants who failed to imagine how big price distortions could get across all markets when liquidity evaporates?’
- ‘For a guy with a mostly technical / quant predilection, I did a lot of pure fundamental research.’
- ‘Well-paid quants build their massive multi-variable models and Monte Carlo simulators only to have them riddled with a thousand random bullet holes from the real world.’
- ‘And you have to get past his reputation within the industry as the ultimate quant jock, the by-the-numbers boss who supposedly wants to measure everything with spreadsheets, and base all decisions on data, not judgment or instinct.’
- ‘In short, a quant combs through price ratios and mathematical relationships between companies or trading vehicles in order to divine profitable trading opportunities.’
- ‘First, a few numbers for the quant lurking in all of us.’
- ‘John Meriwether and his quants believed that they had, for practical purposes, eliminated the uncertainty in market movements by quantifying risk as a function of the past volatility of a stock or bond price.’
- ‘This demand for quants has led to the creation of specialized Masters and PhD courses in mathematical finance, computational finance, and/or financial reinsurance.’
- ‘In this market of memes, anyone can be a broker, analyst or quant with the right skills and desire - and the right moment of entry.’
- ‘As one of Wall Street's leading quants, Derman did throw off some intense gamma radiation.’
- ‘Mangione is a quant, which means that his stock picks are based more on quantitative measures of company and stock performance than on the underlying businesses.’
- ‘Just talking to a friend, I said that last night at a party, I'd bumped into an old friend who's a quant.’
- ‘Product innovation: define and write new payoffs with sales, traders and quants (pro-active and reactive), participate in the study of the risk management of the new payoffs.’
- ‘Another useful S&P stat in the quant section is the Earnings & Dividend Rank, which rates stocks from A + to D on their earnings growth and stability over the past 10 years.’
A pole for propelling a barge or punt, especially one with a prong at the bottom to prevent it sinking into the mud.
- ‘The greater the angle made between the quant and the barge or punt, the greater the turning angle.’
- ‘Or use the quant, a long, very long, punting pole wielded against the soft mud of the bottom like a knight's lance.’
- ‘As the unwieldy quant is about ten feet long and made from heavy, stout oak, it will usually be stored as far away from the river as possible.’
- ‘Punting technique: a punt pole is technically called a quant.’
- ‘Thats when you take down the mast and use a long pole (or quant) to punt the boat under bridges, including the notoriously low medieval one at Potter Heigham.’
Late Middle English: perhaps from Latin contus, from Greek kontos ‘boat pole’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.