One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A parameter of an oscillatory system or device, such as a laser, expressing the relationship between stored energy and energy dissipation.
- ‘This so-called quality factor, or ‘Q,’ is much higher than the value of about 50 achieved by the Cornell team, although the NIST researchers had reached a Q of only 800 at the time they submitted their paper to PRL.’
- ‘When DAC-AFM is used in liquids, the high viscosity of the medium dramatically reduces the quality factor of the cantilever with the consequent sensitivity lost.’
- ‘The cantilever oscillation is anharmonic and asymmetric when the quality factor is low, in contrast with TM AFM in air, where the cantilever oscillation is approximately sinusoidal and symmetric.’
- ‘The m 1 variables are the transformation of the rating scales used in the model from the ordinal y = 1 value to the continuous variable y *, which for instance ranges between 0 and 0.647 for the quality factor.’
- ‘This relationship leads to the quality factor, Q, being a constant.’
- 1.1 A figure expressing the ability of ionizing radiation to cause biological damage, relative to a standard dose of X-rays.
- ‘The SI unit for dose equivalent is the sievert, which is measured in grays times a quality factor for the type of radiation and the weighting factor for the tissue irradiated.’
- ‘The value of the quality factor for each type of radiation depends on the distribution of the absorbed energy in a mass of tissue.’
- ‘A quality factor of from 2.3 to 10 is used for neutrons, depending on their energy, and a quality factor of 20 is used for alpha particles.’
- ‘Fast moving gamma photons have a quality factor of about one, whereas alpha particles (which lose all of their energy over a very small path length) have quality factors nearer 20.’
- ‘The dose equivalent in rems is numerically equal to the absorbed dose in rads multiplied by the quality factor, which, for most medical radiation, is one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.