Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1usually quadrupletsEach of four children born at one birth.
- ‘Close to 60 percent of twins, over 90 percent of triplets and virtually all quadruplets and higher multiples are born preterm.’
- ‘But just logistically, I don't know how people do triplets or quadruplets or quintuplets, because I can't carry two babies at the same time.’
- ‘You four were the first lot of quadruplets born in the Teger.’
- ‘While it is possible to look at all possible pairs of markers, examining all possible triplets and quadruplets quickly becomes impractical.’
- ‘About 500 sets of quadruplets are born each year in the US, according to the National Centre for Health Statistics.’
- ‘Commotion over multiple births - quadruplets, quintuplets, sextuplets - isn't new.’
- ‘But doctors yesterday warned they face a high risk of seeing the new quadruplets born prematurely or with abnormalities.’
- ‘A Yorkshire woman has given birth to quadruplets, after getting pregnant while taking contraceptive pills.’
- ‘The quadruplets, three girls and one boy, were born on July 25 in Shanghai No.1 Maternity and Child Care Hospital by caesarean section.’
- ‘Since in vitro fertilization started, two decades ago, there has been an explosion of twins, triplets, quadruplets, even quintuplets.’
- ‘All seven sets of quadruplets were born before 1994.’
- ‘Useful documents include notice of a job transfer, a letter from your doctor or birth certificates for the quadruplets.’
- ‘The birth of both boy and girl quadruplets has been an extremely rare occurrence in Shanghai in the past 30 years.’
- ‘The parents of girl quadruplets in Nanjing signed a contract with a Beijing-based advertising company that entrusted it with the girls' growth and education.’
- ‘The quadruplets, two boys and two girl babies, are also Niloufer Hospital's first.’
- ‘Fyodor Vassilyev of Shuya, Russia gave birth to 16 sets of twins, seven sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets - a world record.’
- ‘Having given birth to quadruplets in August, the 26-year-old Queensland mother is now pregnant with another four, due in December.’
- ‘I never expected them to be twins, let alone triplets or quadruplets.’
- ‘If I give you a two-hour lunch break today, every worker whose wife gives birth to quadruplets will want one too.’
- ‘Indeed, if these early cells separate, they can each continue to develop, making identical twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc.’
A group of four notes to be performed in the time of three.
- ‘Piano I intensifies the accompaniment of the bell effects by passing from quadruplet sixteenth to triplet sixteenth.’
Late 18th century: from quadruple, on the pattern of triplet.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.