[mass noun] Paralysis of all four limbs; tetraplegia.
immobility, powerlessness, lack of sensation, numbness, deadness, incapacity, debilitationView synonyms
- ‘She developed Reye's syndrome and was left with brain damage, spastic quadriplegia, and epilepsy and a life expectancy of 40.’
- ‘Paralysis can involve all four extremities, a condition called quadriplegia or tetraplegia, or only the lower body, resulting in paraplegia.’
- ‘Deep vein thrombosis, anemia, quadriplegia, and paraplegia were similar between the 2 groups.’
- ‘The most common forms of cerebral palsy in children who have been born preterm are spastic hemiplegia or quadriplegia (bilateral).’
- ‘David was born with hydrocephalus, has spastic quadriplegia and severe learning disabilities, and is virtually blind.’
1920s: from quadri- ‘four’ + a shortened form of paraplegia.