One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A specified period of four years.
- ‘Unfortunately, the 1980-1984 quadrennium marked a drought in Hungarian gymnastics.’
- ‘The new quadrennium, with its countdown to Beijing, has already begun.’
- ‘Camelia was a solid performer for Romania, present at nearly all major events during the 1985-1988 quadrennium.’
- ‘Elections were held to determine the makeup of the Executive and Technical Committees for the next quadrennium.’
- ‘The USOC is currently in the 2001-2004 quadrennium.’
- ‘I will discuss some of the things we considered in setting up her season plan and how that fits into the final year of the Olympic quadrennium.’
- ‘Set goals and objectives for each committee that are in line with the Strategic Game Plan for the quadrennium.’
- ‘She has the knowledge that she's been to the biggest event of the quadrennium, and has made a final.’
- ‘A quadrennium later, they're storming toward that anticipated status.’
- ‘It was a good marker for us to see where our juniors are at this point in the quadrennium.’
Early 19th century: from Latin quadriennium, from quadri- ‘four’ + annus ‘year’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.