Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A specified period of four years.
- ‘She has the knowledge that she's been to the biggest event of the quadrennium, and has made a final.’
- ‘I will discuss some of the things we considered in setting up her season plan and how that fits into the final year of the Olympic quadrennium.’
- ‘Set goals and objectives for each committee that are in line with the Strategic Game Plan for the quadrennium.’
- ‘Elections were held to determine the makeup of the Executive and Technical Committees for the next quadrennium.’
- ‘A quadrennium later, they're storming toward that anticipated status.’
- ‘The USOC is currently in the 2001-2004 quadrennium.’
- ‘The new quadrennium, with its countdown to Beijing, has already begun.’
- ‘It was a good marker for us to see where our juniors are at this point in the quadrennium.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the 1980-1984 quadrennium marked a drought in Hungarian gymnastics.’
- ‘Camelia was a solid performer for Romania, present at nearly all major events during the 1985-1988 quadrennium.’
Early 19th century: from Latin quadriennium, from quadri- four + annus year.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.