One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of sound reproduction) transmitted through four channels.‘a CD player with quadraphonic sound’
- ‘And the quadraphonic assemblages of images are often very beautiful.’
- ‘The next day, folks had new TV's, new quadraphonic stereos, new sneakers.’
- ‘Yet the Floyd's masterful quadrophonic pension plan has retained an amazing capacity to knock people sideways.’
- ‘It goes beyond quadraphonic, heading for a sound stage of 360 degrees.’
- ‘All very shamanic, I'm sure (and also rather quadraphonic, for that matter).’
- ‘Simplified, Black Box is four giant, central screens in a cube-shaped room decked out with top-gun quadraphonic sound.’
- ‘Scientists can't check Ohno's hypothesis by watching the DVD of the Y's life story, complete with quadraphonic sound.’
- ‘This column was written while under the influence of the original quadraphonic version of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.’
- ‘He went on to say, ‘I think that you could call it harmony based music with a quadrophonic backdrop.’’
- ‘So, we've been pretty much surrounded by quadraphonic icefall throughout the course of the night.’
1960s: from quadri- ‘four’ + a shortened form of stereophonic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.