Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of an object or architectural structure) having four sides.‘a quadrangular sail’
- ‘In the 1280s and 1290s this was incorporated into the quadrangular castle which we see today by William de Valance.’
- ‘The four petals, with the stamens inside, form the quadrangular nail-like head of the clove.’
- ‘Among the 1,080 scapulae Gray found 214 acromial processes that he classified as quadrangular.’
- ‘The former asylum opened in 1816 is a stately quadrangular building of stone with pillars of the Doric order.’
- ‘Thousands of people can live in a hutong which is made up of hundreds of quadrangular courtyards each surrounded by four homes.’
- ‘Instead of the customary quadrangular layout, the 15-mile course would be a seven-sided affair, each side about 2.7 miles long.’
- ‘On the other hand, the weak site has a quadrangular pyramidal structure with three peptide carbonyl groups and two water molecules.’
- ‘The stones, as revealed by excavations, were in the shape of ornamented half-eggs on squat, quadrangular bases.’
- ‘A square frame encloses the inscription, forming the main block's quadrangular contour.’
- ‘In Ireland, however, images of harps show quadrangular instruments, possibly lyres.’
- ‘It is quadrangular in outline, with a markedly convex lateral surface perforated by the coracoid foramen.’
- ‘It is an erect herb with the stems acutely quadrangular and pale green.’
- 1.1British (of a sporting contest) involving four teams competing against each other.‘a boys' quadrangular tournament’
- ‘He was also chosen to manage an International team that will compete in a quadrangular tournament in Ulster in the summer.’
- ‘The quadrangular promises to be an exciting event as the field includes Germany, Olympic champions The Netherlands and India.’
- ‘Green Buffaloes judokas amassed 17 points to win the senior quadrangular tournament held in Ndola last weekend after beating five clubs.’
- ‘The BJP's best bet lies in a quadrangular contest among them, the Samajwadi Party, the BSP and the Congress.’
- ‘The Zambia under-18 squad opened the quadrangular rugby tournament in Jwaneng with a 19-6 victory over their Botswana hosts.’
- ‘They may participate in a quadrangular tournament, also featuring Ireland, Holland and an England XI.’
- ‘They also failed to make the final of a one-day quadrangular tournament.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.