One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A quadrangle.‘students greeted him as he walked through the quad’
2A quadruplet.‘9,294 women gave birth to twins, while 147 had triplets, and five had quads’
3A quadriceps muscle.‘I have well-developed quads but my glutes are not all they could be’
4A quad bike.‘inexperienced riders on quads and mopeds’
5mass noun Quadraphony.‘we issued records in two forms at once, stereo and quad’
- ‘This means that a quadraphony transmission must be capable of reproduction through a stereo or monaural receiver.’
6(in telephony) a group of four insulated conductors twisted together, usually forming two circuits.
- ‘These units can contain one, two or eight LEDs, the duals and quads available in tower versions only.’
7A radio aerial in the form of a square or rectangle broken in the middle of one side.
marketplace, close, quadrangle, courtyardView synonyms
- ‘The monthly electric bill to run a high-speed quad can hit $14,000.’
8informal A traditional four-wheeled roller skate.
- ‘I'm sure the people kept wondering, ‘Why struggle with those blades when the quads are so much better?’’
- ‘Even then, quads aren't as fast as low cut inline speed skates.’
- ‘I have been skating on Ice, roller, quads, blades for over 20 years.’
A small metal block in various sizes, lower than type height, used in letterpress printing for filling up short lines.
attributive Quadruple or quadraphonic.
- ‘Kurt Browning had a quad toe loop when he turned pro.’
- ‘Gao is using a quad toe/triple toe combination in both his short and long program.’
- ‘But the two-time World bronze medalist stumbled on a second quad toe, doubled the loop.’
- ‘Last year I landed my first quad toe loop.’
- ‘When I was 19 or 20, I learned the quad toe loop.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.