One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for couch
- ‘Fast-growing fall cover crops outcompete late-season weeds like quack grass and chickweed.’
- ‘In his pasture, edible weeds like dandelion, chicory, quack grass and even stinging nettles are allowed to thrive.’
- ‘However, many people have different kinds of thick bladed grass in their lawn such as quack grass.’
- ‘A recent example is a cross with bread wheat and quack grass.’
- ‘My worst weeds are the perennials that spread with runners, like quack grass.’
Early 19th century: quack, variant of quick, northern form of quitch.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.