Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- trademark for methaqualone
- ‘In college, pursuing the zombie lifestyle, he washes down a dozen Quaaludes with Jack Daniels.’
- ‘It makes Quaaludes look like Flintstones chewable vitamins.’
- ‘But for a really sexy tranquilizer you got to try Quaaludes.’
- ‘Flipper had a Vietnam veteran guitarist and played tragically funny dirge music, hardcore punk on Quaaludes.’
- ‘People were doing these death drugs from harmless marijuana and LSD to heroin and PCP and Quaaludes.’
1960s: an invented name.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.