Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The direction of the Kaaba (the sacred building at Mecca), to which Muslims turn at prayer.
- ‘With the cloisters complete, it was time to define the qibla or the axis along which lay Mecca.’
- ‘But for a Muslim who is thousands of miles from Mecca, finding the right direction to pray - the qibla, or ‘sacred direction ‘- is not so easy.’’
- ‘The only architectural requirement for a mosque is that it have a wall correctly oriented toward the qibla.’
- ‘Someone suggested that sleeping while facing qibla is not an authentic sunnah.’
- ‘The great central arch of the frontispiece of the qibla qubba masks the dome behind.’
Mid 17th century: Arabic, that which is opposite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.