One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of Muslim devotional music now associated particularly with Sufis.
- ‘Here's a page on Sufi music, including qawwali and the Sabri Brothers.’
- ‘The qawwali form of music was devoted to singing in the ‘love’ of God by the Sufis.’
- ‘Also, I am reading Farsi qawwali a lot these days - Sabri and Zia Alay Miskeen, to be precise.’
- ‘He is a veteran of over 1,500 qawwali and ghazal programmes.’
- ‘More formal Muslim music forms, such as the qawwali and ghazal, continue to be popular in the region today.’
From Arabic qawwāli, from qawwāl ‘loquacious’, also ‘singer’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.