One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A performer of qawwali.
- ‘Initially the qawwalis will be sung by 10 groups of professional qawwals, all during peak morning and evening hours, said Sahil.’
- ‘This was in evidence on December 6 when hundreds braved the biting cold to enjoy the rendition of two qawwals.’
- ‘He mastered the art of classical music and gave his maiden stage performance along with another noted qawwal when he was hardly 14.’
- ‘Capable but hardly outstanding qawwals, these two, and Sparkes ain't at his best either, amounting to a less than inspired album.’
- ‘It has encouraged other traditional arts, too, like mirasis, bhands, qawwals and nakals.’
Urdu and Persian qawwāl, from Arabic, ‘reciter, chanter’ (see qawwali).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.