A salt or ester of pyruvic acid.
- ‘The first step is removal of the terminal carbon dioxide from the pyruvate.’
- ‘Some bacteria convert pyruvate and NADH to acetic acid and carbon dioxide.’
- ‘Oxaloacetate, for instance, can be formed from pyruvate, carbon dioxide, and water, with the use of one ATP molecule.’
- ‘Rates of incorporation of carbon from malate, pyruvate, and acetate are expressed on an acetate-equivalent basis.’
- ‘Pyruvate formed by this reaction has to be exported from the chloroplast.’