Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A firework display.
explosions, illuminationsView synonyms
- ‘The pyrotechnics of these offenses would impress even a fireworks factory worker.’
- ‘‘Good, good,’ he says, obviously pleased with the pyrotechnics.’
- ‘The gesture is an apt one, for the US president can expect pyrotechnics when he arrives on November 19.’
- ‘Far from the exciting world of warfare and fireworks, pyrotechnics remain important tools in many industries.’
- ‘No impressive display of pyrotechnics, the inertial dampening system gave up the ghost with a whimper.’
- ‘The focus of the show is to present traditional culture by means of advanced pyrotechnics.’
- ‘The patriotic pyrotechnics focused on loving China, its leaders and the legend of the dragon.’
- ‘Salford is hoping its 30-minute pyrotechnics display will attract more than the 10,000 people who turned up last year.’
- ‘They start early around here, amassing their motherload of pyrotechnics weeks in advance of the Fourth of July.’
- ‘It is crucial that bodhrán playing is always musical and never gets reduced to equilibristic techniques and pyrotechnics.’
- ‘I'd also like to introduce some more training aids and pyrotechnics to make it more exciting and induce the adrenalin.’
- ‘Madlib has too much reverence for Wonder to butcher his songs with unnecessary hip-hop pyrotechnics.’
- ‘So this year Hyder hired Canadian experts to stage the pyrotechnics.’
- ‘The inferno was sparked when pyrotechnics used during the band's opening song set fire to foam insulation behind the stage.’
- ‘Maybe there could even be pyrotechnics involved so that when it broke there would be a shower of sparks.’
- ‘Mr Bettison has urged David Blunkett to allow sales of pyrotechnics only to people holding a special licence.’
- ‘They followed up on the myriad strengths of ‘Mixed Bag,’ combining terrific original compositions and interpretive pyrotechnics.’
- ‘‘It's not what you'd want as a player,’ said Barry Ferguson, meaning the closed-doors match rather than the pyrotechnics.’
- ‘The terrified girl senses trouble, but Dad can only stare in awe at the pyrotechnics: ‘It's fun, isn't it?’’
- ‘The drama primarily derived from the picture's human elements rather than overblown pyrotechnics.’
- 1.1treated as singular The art of making or displaying fireworks.
- ‘They have been in the pyrotechnics business ever since.’
- ‘They really got involved with the dances and pyrotechnics.’
- ‘The council has used Salford-based pyrotechnics experts, Walk The Plank, to set up displays.’
2A brilliant performance or display of a specified skill.‘he thrilled his audience with vocal pyrotechnics’
- ‘There were tears in the audience too, but also not a little squirming at the emotional pyrotechnics.’
- ‘I don't know how I'd react if I encountered something as monstrous as a Golem, but I doubt that I'd resort to verbal pyrotechnics.’
- ‘The shuttle then leaps off the launch pad in a dramatic and heart-stopping display of pyrotechnics.’
- ‘The concluding Precipitato was a brilliant display of pure pianistic pyrotechnics.’
- ‘Apparently there were celestial pyrotechnics on a scale almost-unknown at this latitude.’
- ‘I write as well as I can but I'm not a stylist and have never been into pyrotechnics.’
- ‘He needed the cigarettes to perform his secondary role as coordinator of Biblical pyrotechnics.’
- ‘It's also a virtuoso display of theatrical pyrotechnics, though acting, in the thespian sense, doesn't get much of a look in.’
- ‘The display of volcanic pyrotechnics was powerful enough to earn the mountain national park status two years later.’
- ‘It also has a little bit of the pyrotechnics that often go along with flute writing.’
- ‘‘I'll do that,’ I say, dazzled by the display of pyrotechnics in the kitchen this morning.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.