One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inducing fever.‘a pyrogenic response follows intravenous injection of endotoxin’
- ‘The pyrogenic exotoxins, also known as erythrogenic toxins, are responsible for the rash of scarlet fever.’
- ‘Endotoxin bacteria also are called pyrogenic bacteria because they activate the inflammatory process and produce fever.’
- ‘It is possible that when BAL is performed in an infected or inflamed area in infants, more pyrogenic cytokines are released.’
- ‘Chemical mediators are released that secrete pyrogenic endotoxins and exotoxins.’
- ‘They can cause pyrogenic reaction symptoms, including fever, chills, and hypotension.’
2Caused or produced by combustion or the application of heat.‘pyrogenic factors affecting the fluctuation of the forest–savannah boundary’
- ‘Our results confirm the nature of Florida scrub as an ‘autosuccessional’ ecosystem, typical of most pyrogenic shrublands.’
- ‘Xeric oak scrub communities are pyrogenic, so their flora and fauna have developed adaptations to fire.’
- ‘Fire-suppression efforts soon followed, largely eliminating fire from these pyrogenic forests.’
- ‘Fever is the body's response to an infection or inflammation, and is triggered by special pyrogenic hormones from the hypothalamus.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.