One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless volatile liquid with an unpleasant odour, present in coal tar and used chiefly as a solvent.
- ‘The folic acid pathway provides the essential precursor molecule, pyridine thymidylate, needed in DNA biosynthesis.’
- ‘The structure of niacinamide consists of a pyridine ring with an amide group in position three.’
- ‘This is a pyridine silver method described by Ranson in 1911 for impregnating unmyelinated nerve fibers.’
- ‘The heme b content was quantified by the pyridine hemochrome method.’
- ‘Plant IDHs differ in the pyridine nucleotide they use as co-substrate and also in their localization in the cell.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek pur ‘fire’ + -ide + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.