One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline aromatic hydrocarbon present in coal tar.
- ‘To this purpose we have considered four dyes, namely: indo - 1, rhodamine 6G, fluorescein, and pyrene.’
- ‘The fluorescence methods include quenching, pyrene excimer formation, and RET.’
- ‘The concentration of pyrene in the lipid bilayer as well as the temperature were similar in experiment and simulations.’
- ‘Potential effects of other probes such as pyrene are briefly discussed.’
- ‘The biological half-life of pyrene absorbed via the respiratory tract is 9.8 hr.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek pur ‘fire’ + -ene.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.