One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Resembling a pyramid in shape.
- ‘The structure of the ammonia molecule is best described as pyramidal.’
- ‘They are usually grown in curled, spiral, pyramidal, circular and zigzag shapes.’
- ‘The Southern magnolia's natural shape is pyramidal with limbs to the ground.’
- ‘Trees with this form have a strong central stem and pyramidal shape.’
- ‘Its pyramidal shape and infinite extensiveness make it suitable for Denas's pyramid of thousands of figures.’
- ‘These show the clarity and the pyramidal composition for which he was renowned.’
- ‘An adaptation of the pillar is the teepee, a combination of three or four pillars joined at the top to form a pyramidal shape.’
- ‘The atoms are arranged in a four-faced pyramidal structure (the tetrahedron) with the silicon atom in the center.’
- ‘Several intact tombs have been discovered as well as the remains of five pyramidal platforms.’
- ‘Characteristically, they feature pyramidal, domed or conical roofs built up of corbeled limestone slabs.’
- ‘That mountain, running with springs, is basically pyramidal and shaped and notched in the center.’
- ‘They are pyramidal in shape and weigh about 4 g each.’
- ‘Gadolinite typically occurs as long slender prisms with pyramidal terminations and diamond-shaped cross sections.’
- ‘Lightly prune young magnolias after they flower to encourage a pyramidal shape.’
- ‘The tree's handsome pyramidal shape has a somewhat unusual branch structure.’
- ‘In another painting, Sooner or Later, the letters in ‘sooner’ are arranged in a pyramidal shape topped by an eye.’
- ‘At the head of the Wright Valley the pyramidal shape of Mt. Fleming loomed above the Dry Valleys.’
- ‘A pencil drawing on graph paper, this is an arrangement of handwritten words that form a pyramidal shape.’
- ‘This is the pyramidal shape that defines what the viewer can see, or the field of view, with the point starting at the eyes.’
- ‘It has a unique pyramidal shape that's half as wide as it is tall.’
Relating to or denoting a tract of motor nerves within the pyramid of the medulla oblongata.
- ‘Examination showed pyramidal signs in both legs and weakness in left hip flexion.’
- ‘In general, in the hippocampus and entorhinal cortex, large pyramidal neurons exhibited the greatest degree of intracellular staining.’
- ‘There is no sensory loss or involvement of the pyramidal tracts.’
- ‘In the brain, stimulants stunt the growth of spiny neurons in the nucleus accumbens and pyramidal cells in the parietal cortex.’
- ‘He saw the elegant pyramidal cells of the cerebral cortex, the chunky interneurons of the spinal cord.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.