One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the kidney as a result of bacterial infection.
- ‘Parenteral treatment of pyelonephritis should be continued until the patient becomes afebrile.’
- ‘Because of hematuria, bacteriuria and pyuria, Susan had been treated for a urinary tract infection with possible pyelonephritis.’
- ‘Systemic maternal febrile infections such as pyelonephritis have been associated with preterm delivery.’
- ‘High fever with chills is typical of pyelonephritis and pneumonia.’
- ‘White blood cell casts are usually indicative of a renal inflammatory process such as pyelonephritis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek puelos ‘trough, basin’ + nephritis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.