Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inflammation of the kidney as a result of bacterial infection.
- ‘White blood cell casts are usually indicative of a renal inflammatory process such as pyelonephritis.’
- ‘Systemic maternal febrile infections such as pyelonephritis have been associated with preterm delivery.’
- ‘Parenteral treatment of pyelonephritis should be continued until the patient becomes afebrile.’
- ‘Because of hematuria, bacteriuria and pyuria, Susan had been treated for a urinary tract infection with possible pyelonephritis.’
- ‘High fever with chills is typical of pyelonephritis and pneumonia.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek puelos ‘trough, basin’ + nephritis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.