One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See puzzlingsentence adverb ‘puzzlingly, he was never able to attend gatherings of contributors in Oxford’as submodifier ‘prices for Goya paintings are still puzzlingly low’
- ‘Botticelli's work is puzzlingly varied in quality.’
- ‘‘I don't have the voice in my head,’ he says, puzzlingly, ‘It is on the paper.’’
- ‘It's pleasant, but puzzlingly inconsequential.’
- ‘The highest price is 151 rupees, attached to a puzzlingly scrawny white bird.’
- ‘‘I've been trying to say this to you for the best part of 10 years, but never quite found the words,’ he said, puzzlingly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.