Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing one to be puzzled; perplexing.‘only one very puzzling question remains unanswered’
- ‘Even so, I did find the whole arrangement rather puzzling.’
- ‘The movie also has a puzzling attitude towards women.’
- ‘There are many puzzling features about the French Air Force in 1940.’
- ‘IBS can affect children, too, giving them a puzzling set of digestive complaints.’
- ‘But the current discussion about moral status misses much that is most essential, and most interesting, and most puzzling.’
- ‘However, there is one aspect of the debate that is, to me, simply puzzling.’
- ‘Even more puzzling is that larger lizards from northern populations grow more slowly to reach their adult body size.’
- ‘The ending increased my strong, if puzzling, reaction.’
- ‘With hindsight, it is puzzling that I was not electrocuted.’
- ‘Given the large structural changes in the complex, the small change in dynamics might seem puzzling.’
- ‘But the custom may seem puzzling or bizarre to many people today.’
- ‘And so in that sense, he is not puzzling to us.’
- ‘Every few yards there is a surreal spectacle, a puzzling riddle or a mysterious door.’
- ‘At first blush, these responses may seem puzzling.’
- ‘Among these, the most puzzling element to analysts has been the growth in personal income.’
- ‘For an area that depends so much on tourism, the attitude of the authorities is puzzling.’
- ‘The Labour leader added that other aspects of the situation were puzzling.’
- ‘It really has been a very puzzling week.’
- ‘What was puzzling was the manner of his exit.’
- ‘Forensic tests must be done to bring more information in this puzzling, sad discovery.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.