One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small variety of green lentil with blue marbling, highly regarded for its flavour.
- ‘Add puy lentils and stock to cover and simmer until liquid absorbed.’
- ‘Food is taken seriously and the no-nonsense menu includes pan-roast lamb rump with puy lentils and roasted root veg.’
- ‘For the main course I had the ‘crisp confit of duck’ with puy lentils and smoked bacon ragout with a red wine sauce.’
- ‘By comparison, the roast cod on puy lentils was more predictable and disappointing.’
- ‘Served with puy lentils, sauté potatoes and roast garlic, this was a fine example of French country cooking.’
- ‘For my main course, the special was skate on a bed of puy lentils.’
- ‘Then there's a very authentic cassoulet, rabbit with Bayonne ham and sage, spiced puy lentils.’
- ‘Finally, the roasted whole boneless quail, plumped with black pudding and puy lentils, proved hardest to resist.’
- ‘The warm salad of puy lentils and mixed beans again seemed inoffensive but not wildly memorable.’
- ‘The puy lentils were very salty and were only just saved by some superb thick-cut bacon which, well, saved its bacon.’
- ‘I wasn't listening however, being too absorbed in my main order, haunch of venison, fondant potato, wild mushrooms, garlic puy lentils and pancetta.’
Named after the French town of Le Puy in the Auvergne.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.