Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A stupid or worthless person.‘I'm not some two-bit putz who doesn't know the difference between Ouzo and Dom Perignon’
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘Daphne is not beautiful, and Daphne is a putz, a klutz.’
- ‘‘But a good looking putz,’ he joked, kissing my cheekbone gently.’
- ‘But then again, I'm the putz who ate artichoke leaves.’
- ‘I'd have an easier time believing that Nick was a rocket scientist than a mean spirited putz.’
- ‘With that high center of gravity you're twice as likely as some putz in a Pontiac to tip precariously onto two wheels.’
- ‘Serves the putz right for letting his hormones swim around unsupervised.’
- ‘A disturbingly perky androgynous sprite tries to spread the joy of music to an unpopular putz named Buzz.’
- ‘Not that the Dad was much better, but he seemed a little more natural around them, even if he was a putz and a control freak.’
- ‘Usually I would pass on a crazy broad like this but no woman was going to treat me like a putz.’
- ‘In fact, Santorum is such a putz that he was once named the the dumbest member of Congress.’
- ‘Problem is, Polsky doesn't have the chutzpah to go through with it - and he's a putz.’
- ‘Boss David Brent (creator Ricky Gervais) is the prototypical, uninspiring putz with a bad goatee and an even worse sense of humor.’
- ‘He runs crying to Uwe, the putz who works as a feng shui consultant and has fountains and sand gardens in his home.’
- ‘As Dracula, Dominic Purcell is a putz, and represents one of the worst villain casting decisions of the year.’
- ‘They often rightly forget some putz's inane sloganeering.’
- ‘‘You're an arrogant putz,’ a teacher yells at his student.’
- ‘The putz that Greta put in charge up there probably gave them no option.’
- ‘Unfortunately, he was such a putz during the rest of the movie that I had difficulty believing he could be both people.’
- ‘But our portly putz doesn't realize that, when discovering the truth, you may not get exactly what you want.’
- ‘But let's say you're one step above a putz or a show-off.’
2vulgar slang A man's penis.
verb[NO OBJECT]North american
Engage in inconsequential or unproductive activity.‘too much putzing around up there would ruin them’
- ‘I am totally free to play games, read, putz around with my site, organize my MP3s, surf the web, watch movies or sleep.’
- ‘Okay, I was just putzing around on the net waiting for R. to wake up and stumbled on to Crazy eBay mom.’
- ‘Let's see, at last count there were at least two charming little robots putzing about the surface of the ‘Red Planet’.’
- ‘He/she will then putz along at 50 kilometres an hour while sightseeing.’
- ‘It took us twice as long as my normal pace alone to putz our way through the dark streets to my apartment.’
- ‘Julian was putzing around behind the bar when Gloria came over to visit him.’
1960s: Yiddish, literally penis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.