usually postpositive Denoting a pasta sauce including tomatoes, garlic, black olives, and anchovies.‘pasta puttanesca’
- ‘On a good day, I can cook a puttanesca in 12 minutes, and clean up will be 5-7.’
- ‘The menu here basically consists of around 16 kinds of sauces including tomato, rose, pesto, carbonara and puttanesca.’
- ‘I had a pizza puttanesca with anchovies, olives (with pips) and cherry tomatoes.’
- ‘Over red wine and pasta puttanesca, the three talked strategy.’
- ‘And lunch was a crispy salad with pasta puttanesca and crusty garlicky bread - all fabulous.’
- ‘Also I made pasta puttanesca for dinner and it was delicious.’
- ‘The main course has delights such as chicken puttanesca.’
- ‘But if I had to choose one, I'd say puttanesca, because it's one of a few recipes that I've committed to memory.’
- ‘That night we were having puttanesca, a spicy pasta dish that everyone should try at least once in their life.’
- ‘As adults, we think of restraint at the table as not having that third helping of pasta puttanesca.’
- ‘Calamari pizza, blackened tuna Caesar salad, shrimp puttanesca - whatever your seafood craving, the nation's restaurants are likely to have it.’
Italian, from puttana ‘prostitute’ (the sauce is said to have been devised by prostitutes as one which could be cooked quickly between clients' visits).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.