One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The standard spoken form of modern Chinese, based on the dialect of Beijing.
- ‘They refuse to speak putonghua and they refuse to travel to China.’
- ‘Suyong used a mixture of Anhui dialect and putonghua to speak to the reporter, so her meaning is barely understood.’
- ‘The official language of China is putonghua or Mandarin, spoken by over 70 percent of the Han Chinese.’
- ‘He spoke for too long and his putonghua is not very good.’
- ‘Another option if you speak a bit of the putonghua is to have a tailor visit you at home.’
Chinese, literally ‘common spoken language’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.