Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Spyware can slow your puter to a crawl, taking minutes to open a site.’
- ‘So I guess I will need to take it into the shop where they have the tools and parts to troubleshoot the puter efficiently.’
- ‘Mark yawns, gets out of his chair, clicks the mouse and publishes his blog entry and waits for the puter to shut the hell down.’
- ‘You don't realize by clicking the X that a small hidden piece of code has just been downloaded to your puter.’
- ‘I recieved a reply on bleeping puter.’
- ‘Does anyone know if you could hook up two puters to the same line and surf the net at the same time using any of the broadband packages?’
- ‘The next day, coffee in hand, you turn on your puter.’
- ‘Keep your puter protected, your well being may depend on it.’
- ‘The janitor gave me an extension cable so I could get my puter plugged in.’
- ‘I must be tired, the puter seems slow to me.’
- ‘It can log your keystrokes, mine your data, reboot your puter, even cause it to not boot up.’
- ‘Tomorrow and the next day I have Treaty Training, so I won't be near a puter during the day.’
- ‘This morning the puter was dead again, and wouldn't respond to a reboot.’
- ‘Geez the puter is really slow!’
- ‘This kind just puts a cookie on your puter and tracks you as you go from website to website.’
- ‘I had to reload the puter in order to fix some problems.’
- ‘There are much better things to do than sit in front of a puter today.’
- ‘Anyway, before I had the chance to find one I liked, the puter crashed and I forgot all about it.’
- ‘The puter does indeed have a virus.’
- ‘Is your personel information stored safe on your puter or is it being mined to a geeky looking guy sitting in the dark half a continent away?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.