One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Offer resistance to an attack.
retaliate, counterattack, strike back, hit back, reply, respond, react, reciprocate, return fire, give tit for tat, give as good as one gets, return the compliment, defend oneself, put up a fight, return like for like, get back at someone, give someone a dose of their own medicine, give someone a taste of their own medicineView synonyms
- ‘He was putting up a fight, but he didn't seem that strong.’
- ‘I beat a hasty retreat without putting up a fight.’
- ‘A journalist puts up a fight against an industrialist who is dumping chemical waste near a school.’
- ‘Chelsea must be shown they can't just take our best players without us putting up a fight.’
- ‘I will not compromise my own principles and judgement without putting up a fight.’
- ‘I have observed that more women, including domestic helpers, have now realized their rights and, therefore, are putting up a fight against discrimination and violence.’
- ‘On Monday, however, local residents, including a large number of pensioners, said they would not let the home close without putting up a fight.’
- ‘Still, they have a long way to go, even if they were clearly putting up a fight.’
- ‘As the songwriter said, ‘treat the youths right, or they'll be putting up a fight.’’
- ‘O'Connell, on the other hand, seemed to have put up a fight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.