One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Embark on an undertaking with as much effort and determination as possible.
- ‘Darwen children will be putting their best foot forward to raise money for Barnardo's children's charity.’
- ‘Scouts have been putting their best foot forward to map out walking routes in Greenmount and Tottington.’
- ‘He will be putting his best foot forward and walking the 30 miles from Bolton on Good Friday.’
- ‘More than 13,000 Wiltshire pupils have been putting their best foot forward to mark International Walk to School Week.’
- ‘In addition, there have been various groups/troupes putting their best foot forward.’
- ‘An actuary from Brentford will be putting her best foot forward in this year's London marathon, to help charity Whizzkids.’
- ‘‘Politics is about putting your best foot forward and putting the other person in the worst light,’ Mr. Goldstein said.’
- ‘Right or left, he is intent on putting his best foot forward and leaving nightmare stories behind.’
- ‘I mean, sure, you get disappointed because you go out there putting your best foot forward.’
- ‘It's all about the business and putting your best foot forward.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.