One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Adopt an affected way of speaking or an affected manner.‘when nervous, she tends to put on jam’
- ‘I loved people who did not put on 'Jam'.’
- ‘A few of the educated people we came across were, by their accent, "putting on jam".’
- ‘One girl said I put on jam but I don't talk funny.’
- ‘They wanted to know everything about him; if he was "a proud or bashful sort of man?" and if he "put on jam?"’
- ‘She has been putting on jam to some extent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.