One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drawing pin with a spherical or cylindrical head of coloured plastic.
- ‘Secure the tieback around a pushpin in the window frame.’
- ‘Secure the liner with pushpins at the inside corners.’
- ‘On one wall of the gallery, Northridge pressed 100 pushpins into a tight circle.’
- ‘The negatives were placed side by side, attached with pushpins.’
- ‘It's dotted with colored pushpins, each one representing a city where someone has purchased a SawStop table saw.’
- ‘There's a map filled with pushpins showing the hometowns of the motel's guests.’
- ‘Those pushpins have to be pushed from one side of the receiver out the other.’
- ‘Insert clear pushpins in a circle around the middle of a 3-inch-diameter plastic-foam ball, then add rows to cover the ball.’
- ‘They're held up by colored plastic pushpins in crowded, overlapping, random order.’
- ‘The pushpins are very tight and require a punch and hammer to knock out.’
- ‘Soon the big box was sliced in half, outfitted with cardboard shelves and decorated with stickers, pushpins and photos.’
- ‘Clusters of pushpins and Styrofoam cups suggested buildings or gathering armies.’
- ‘Insert map pins, metal tacks, and pushpins with plastic heads to create dots, stripes, and hearts.’
- ‘If I need a package of pushpins, I'm likely to go anywhere that's nearby and cheap.’
- ‘Then I learned about Google's new frappr community mapping service and thought readers of the site might want to add a pushpin to the map.’
- ‘The pushpin color photograms are created by placing the pins directly into the photographic paper surface in the color darkroom.’
- ‘A washer was used around the holes to help position the pushpins for assembly.’
- ‘Press the fabric in place with your hands, using pushpins to temporarily hold it in place.’
- ‘Smaller than the top of a pushpin, the LP910x family packs a big punch.’
- ‘We provide the map, and other people put in the pushpins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.