Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Proceed with or continue a course of action.‘he promised to push ahead with economic reform’
- ‘She questioned the wisdom of the U.S. pushing ahead with a programme for which there is little or no scientific basis that it will be successful and which would be astronomically expensive.’
- ‘As for the future, En Foco will continue to push ahead with more emphasis on the journal.’
- ‘But with China pushing ahead with development on its side, and near the border, Japan worries that the resources on its side will be affected.’
- ‘He said that it was important to establish a new use for the site quickly, but this would not inhibit the council from pushing ahead with plans to help the 260 Thrall workers find new jobs.’
- ‘Now the Food Standards Agency Scotland is pushing ahead with legislation that will force manufacturers to disclose any traces of the most dangerous dozen ingredients of food.’
- ‘Coca-Cola continues to push ahead with the establishment of more local bottling plants.’
- ‘Since then the Town has continued to push ahead with the project on its own.’
- ‘The county council is pushing ahead with plans to introduce by-laws increasing the speed limit on its section of the same road from 80 kmph to 100 kmph.’
- ‘Instead of pushing ahead with a compulsory scheme in the short term, the Government will introduce draft legislation in the Queen's speech this month as the first step towards a voluntary system.’
- ‘The Scottish Executive, however, attracted the bulk of criticism for increasing stress on teachers by pushing ahead with a policy of reducing the number of pupils being excluded from school.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.