One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Arouse or provoke a reaction in someone.‘don't allow co-workers to push your buttons’
- ‘So he was pushing your buttons, but you were also pushing his buttons.’
- ‘My wife, rational in most other things, adamantly refused to admit that her beautiful baby son would stoop to pushing her buttons.’
- ‘Avoid pushing his buttons, and ask your parents to get a lock for your door since the thing to do when someone is unreasonably angry is to get out of harm's way.’
- ‘Remember, June also knew how to push Ward 's buttons.’
- ‘Let him tap into your brain, and he will feed off it, and keep right on pushing your buttons.’
- ‘The next time somebody tries to push your buttons, remember what Mom said and resist reacting.’
- ‘I remember the great tenderness with which my father taught me initially, but then it was replaced by a harsh regimented style where he started pushing my buttons but that happened later.’
- ‘I'm reading it more critically than I did a few years ago, but there's still some great stuff in there that pushes my buttons pretty hard.’
- ‘Is this woman serious, or just pushing our buttons?’
- ‘No matter what pushes your buttons, one thing is certain: Feeling jealous is totally human.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.