One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Arouse or provoke a reaction in someone.‘don't allow co-workers to push your buttons’
- ‘I remember the great tenderness with which my father taught me initially, but then it was replaced by a harsh regimented style where he started pushing my buttons but that happened later.’
- ‘No matter what pushes your buttons, one thing is certain: Feeling jealous is totally human.’
- ‘Avoid pushing his buttons, and ask your parents to get a lock for your door since the thing to do when someone is unreasonably angry is to get out of harm's way.’
- ‘My wife, rational in most other things, adamantly refused to admit that her beautiful baby son would stoop to pushing her buttons.’
- ‘So he was pushing your buttons, but you were also pushing his buttons.’
- ‘Is this woman serious, or just pushing our buttons?’
- ‘I'm reading it more critically than I did a few years ago, but there's still some great stuff in there that pushes my buttons pretty hard.’
- ‘Remember, June also knew how to push Ward 's buttons.’
- ‘The next time somebody tries to push your buttons, remember what Mom said and resist reacting.’
- ‘Let him tap into your brain, and he will feed off it, and keep right on pushing your buttons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.