One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large seine (fishing net) which may be drawn into the shape of a bag, used for catching shoal fish.
- ‘Half or more of sharks killed are ‘bycatch,’ snagged while fishermen are targeting other species on longlines or in enormous trawl nets, gillnets or purse seines.’’
- ‘Larger vessels explored the offshore feeding grounds and, using the new purse seine technology, brought back unprecedented catches.’
- ‘Evolving technologies have included aboriginal spears, nets, and weirs and European purse seines.’
- ‘The law prevented fishermen from intentionally setting purse seine nets around dolphin pods in order to capture the tuna swimming in schools below them.’
- ‘Congress enacted the Marine Mammal Protection Act in 1972 to protect dolphins from the effects of purse seine tuna fishing.’
- ‘The Commission has recommended that the blue marlin landings of pelagic longlines and purse seine vessels be reduced to at most 50% of the 1996 or 1999 level, whichever is greater.’
- ‘He is a strong advocate of sound fishery management, who authored legislation in 1997 that prevents the annual slaughter of thousands of dolphins during tuna purse seine fishing.’
- ‘Skipjack is said to be very healthy and robust, and skipjack tuna is targeted mainly by the long line and the purse seine.’
- ‘Eastern tropical Pacific D. delphis skin tissue samples were obtained from animals caught incidentally in the yellow-fin tuna purse seine fishery.’
- ‘It has been stolen from them by a mistake made by the Ministry of Fisheries when it allowed purse seine fishing to target kahawai.’
- ‘When the tuna is harvested with purse seine nets some dolphins become trapped and often die unless released quickly.’
- ‘We wrapped it in purse seine netting; in the process we accidentally wrapped up a six-foot blue shark that was feeding on the whale.’
- ‘In fact, the total allowable commercial catch has been set at a level that is significantly less than the tonnage that purse seine fishers alone are able to catch under the current permit regime.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.