Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
On purpose; intentionally.‘she had purposely made it difficult’
deliberately, intentionally, on purpose, by design, wilfully, calculatedly, premeditatedly, wittingly, knowingly, consciously, in cold blood, of one's own volitionexpressly, explicitly, specifically, especially, specially, justwith malice aforethoughtpurposefullyView synonyms
- ‘The half hour length of many TV programmes seems purposely designed to leave us craving for more.’
- ‘Seth told us later that she purposely went over some big bumps, just cuz we were back there.’
- ‘Trip limits were purposely set so that everyone would have an equal chance.’
- ‘Future generations can then enjoy the new amenities but will not rue the day we purposely destroyed the nature of the place.’
- ‘I fear the event might be misunderstood and purposely hooked on by designers and enemies.’
- ‘It is a fine example of an old institution, purposely built which is now being used with a new future in education.’
- ‘A runaway winner at Sandown in February, he has purposely been kept fresh for this Merseyside jackpot bid.’
- ‘From the kick off Celtics passing was a class act, with the ball moving around swiftly and purposely.’
- ‘On the rifle range, Wesley purposely missed the target on his first few tries.’
- ‘We played the basics of the song live and purposely left a lot of space for other elements to come in later.’
- ‘Sanrio designers have purposely limited her story to the barest of details.’
- ‘Did you ever make the frog purposely get hit by a car just to see him splatter?’
- ‘We purposely didn't make a big deal of the twenty-fifth because we think every year is important.’
- ‘This cat and mouse tactic was purposely designed to provoke, enrage and panic the unemployed.’
- ‘I rolled my eyes, purposely intent on winding her up just for the hell of it.’
- ‘These are purposely put on in these totalitarian societies as of way of subverting the population.’
- ‘She would not purposely try to hurt you but if you asked her opinion, you would get it, even if it was not what you wanted to hear.’
- ‘The big mistake Takeshi made, however, was to purposely have the computer blood look fake.’
- ‘He said some local authorities are purposely turning a deaf ear to illegal weapons production.’
- ‘I entered the living room, purposely sitting at a distance to avoid father's tirade.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.