One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As appears or is stated to be true, though not necessarily so; allegedly.‘the photos purportedly show Nina with a lover’‘a purportedly independent arbitrator’
- ‘The documents purportedly show the distribution of regular under-the-table cash payments to senior party members.’
- ‘This cast doubt on her true identity and her story as told in the purportedly factual book.’
- ‘The artist and filmmaker purportedly formed a strong bond.’
- ‘The following is the full text of a letter purportedly written by the captured British sailor.’
- ‘The woman found a letter purportedly signed by the Prime Minister.’
- ‘Although it's purportedly a comedy - a romantic comedy, even - its most memorable scene is a tense courtroom drama.’
- ‘The film is only purportedly about rock and roll.’
- ‘He pleaded guilty to possession of an unregistered firearm, which he tended to brandish at his employees, purportedly in jest.’
- ‘The 1991 law purportedly aimed to separate legal entities from the State.’
- ‘Purportedly, people view themselves as recovering instead of recovered to remind them that they should not drink.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.