Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A US state where the Democratic and Republican parties have similar levels of support among voters.‘Iowa today is a purple state, pretty evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats’
- ‘Fresh-faced, wealthy, personable and a moderate from a purple state with a successful spell as Governor under his belt, he could well be the next Democratic president.’
- ‘Minnesota is a purple state.’
- ‘New Hampshire is a purple state in a deeply blue New England (but, being a coastline state, it would not matter much that it was not connected by land to other breakaway states).’
- ‘While the state was "moving in the right direction, it's still a purple state."’
- ‘Thus, the Senate is a much more cushy job for Kerry than someone from a red or purple state.’
- ‘All of the states you just mentioned are basically purple states.’
- ‘Is this she going to be called down to Florida to campaign in that race, or New Jersey or some of these purple states?’
- ‘When the presidential election results are parsed, New York, like much of the nation, is more a purple state than a bright red or blue one.’
- ‘"It would be the first sign of turning Florida from a purple state to one that's blue," he said.’
- ‘And that's why it's such a fascinating purple state right now.’
- ‘This is a purple state.’
- ‘Convinced the party needed a viable operation nationwide, not just in the blue and purple states, he spent millions to hire three to five new staff members in all 50 states to handle fund-raising, communications and organizing.’
- ‘Colorado has, I believe, always been a purple state.’
- ‘We're more of a purple state than blue or red.’
- ‘The local newspaper called the comments "an eyebrow-raiser, at the very least", adding, "In a purple state like Colorado, Republicans can't afford those".’
- ‘But it's the so-called purple states that are bitterly contested.’
- ‘Indiana and Ohio appear as two purple states jutting into an otherwise blue Great Lakes region.’
- ‘We're more of a purple state than a blue or red, but it's very important for the president to talk to our base.’
- ‘The reds are red and the blues are blue - and it's going to be a street fight in the purple states.’
- ‘The governors have a record of victory, including in blue states and purple states.’
With allusion to the fact that the colour purple is a blend of red and blue.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.