One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of Sanskrit sacred writings on Hindu mythology and folklore of varying date and origin, the most ancient of which dates from the 4th century AD.
- ‘A Muslim understands the Muslim way of life and a Hindu the Vedas and Puranas.’
- ‘In fact mantra appears within Brahmanas, Arankyas, Puranas, and Upanishads.’
- ‘On that Puranas are called the Vedas of the Common folk, for they present the mysteries through myth and legend.’
- ‘The philosophies of the Vedas, Puranas, Smriti or the six Darshana literatures emphasize on the socio-spiritual reform and promote a spiritual life.’
- ‘In the Chandogya Upanishad, the Puranas and the Mahabharata, generally known as histories, are mentioned as the fifth Veda.’
- ‘In the Indian epics such as Ramayana, Mahabharata and Puranas there are many references to interactions and wars between the forest or hill tribes and the Hindus.’
- ‘The Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas etc., stand eloquent testimony to this remarkable endeavour of our forefathers.’
- ‘Some follow the smrti-sastra composed of twenty religious scriptures, and others follow the Puranas and the tantra-sastra.’
- ‘Mythology and Hindu Puranas have many instances of militant heroes, who were still considered to be leaders.’
- ‘Smarthas follow the Smriti literature, particularly Dharma Shastra, Puranas and the Ithihasas.’
- ‘Any text that speaks about the sun in the Puranas has been taken and joined to make this Surya Purana.’
- ‘The Puranas are encyclopaedias of Vedic mythology and spirituality.’
- ‘Smarta means a follower of classical smriti, particularly the Dharma Shastras, Puranas and Itihasas.’
- ‘There are several stories in the Puranas that relate how Siva made Ganesha the captain of his Ganas.’
- ‘References to Jalandhar are also found in the Ramayana, the Mahabarata, the Puranas, Yogini Tantra, Brihata Samhita, Dashkumaracharita and Rajatrangini of Kalhana.’
- ‘The strange thing is that Indian literature started with deep philosophy and science; later on the Brahmanas and Puranas explained things by using mythology.’
- ‘Our Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, Sastras, Agamas, Tantras and Samhitas are all unlimited.’
- ‘All others (like Brahmanas, Upnishads, Purana, Dharma Shastras, Sutras, etc.) are just commentaries, explanatory notes written by individuals.’
- ‘Like the other Puranas, the Yuga Purana condemns the patronage of non-Brahmanical sects by the Maurya kings.’
- ‘All of our Veda mantras, Agamas, Puranas and Smritis would have been forgotten but for the painstaking memorizations by generations of priests.’
From Sanskrit purāṇa ‘ancient (legend)’, from purā ‘formerly’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.