One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fat on the body of a baby or child which disappears around adolescence.
- ‘It is a question of toning up my physique and converting the puppy fat.’
- ‘Now the puppy fat has disappeared and the delivery is more direct.’
- ‘How can a mother really try to put a child onto a diet because of the apparent puppy fat lasting longer than she expected, and then not expect an adverse effect on that very child?’
- ‘With Stephanie, the doctors said it was puppy fat and it would go when she hit puberty but it didn't.’
- ‘Idon't know how to get rid of that chubbiness which people told me I would lose eventually as it was only puppy fat.’
- ‘It is also his first shot at being a leading man, and bulked out, though not completely free of puppy fat, he acquits himself admirably.’
- ‘He'd never lost his puppy fat and puberty had hit him early, and hard.’
- ‘The puppy fat is replaced by curves that men seem to want to explore.’
- ‘Even Michael has some puppy fat, but Deron is all unbending bronze.’
- ‘Smokers get banned, lap dancers told to keep their kit on, Glaswegians told to shun the sunbed, while kids with puppy fat are constantly told they are headed for an early grave.’
- ‘Their daughter is not just pleasantly plump or carrying a pound or two of excess puppy fat, she is morbidly obese.’
- ‘The little child was pudgy, but with puppy fat rather than overeating, and he waved a stick with as much ferocity as he could muster in his right hand.’
- ‘Small tears fell in pairs down her rounded face which still hadn't lost some of the puppy fat.’
- ‘But there was something about him that made Cotterell look beyond the rolls of puppy fat.’
- ‘My puppy fat melted, I started wearing contact lenses and learnt how to kiss.’
- ‘For what seems like ages, you've got braces, flat chests and puppy fat in all the wrong places; then, seemingly overnight, they morph into head-turners.’
- ‘Maybe she'll simultaneously melt away that puppy fat.’
- ‘Well I initially started when I got to the football club I had a bit of puppy fat and players, team-mates would actually just joke about it, and I think it scarred me a little bit.’
- ‘Meggy is impetuous, spoilt, emotionally unfinished and, despite the puppy fat, awkwardly attractive.’
- ‘Kate Steinbeck from the family weight management clinic says many parents said their children had puppy fat, even when referring to 10 or 20 extra kilos.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.