Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person, group, or country that covertly controls another.‘the puppetmaster behind the current administration’
- ‘Putin still controls the strings and Medvedev can only become the puppetmaster if he cuts them.’
- ‘At the behest of their US puppet-masters, the newly elected Iraqi government had Al Jazeera temporarily thrown out of the country.’
- ‘Flamboyant and witty, he relishes his role as a behind-the-scenes puppet master.’
- ‘The film climaxes with the arrival of the alien puppet-master that's behind the whole plot.’
- ‘Doing the adaptation, of course, it was clear that Waugh was a pretty cruel puppet master with his characters.’
- ‘Genes are not puppet masters, nor blueprints.’
- ‘Those are the puppet masters, my friend.’
- ‘It certainly does not hand the country over wholesale to Bush's puppet masters.’
- ‘You're a machine to be commanded by your puppet masters in the military-industrial complex.’
- ‘You'll need something better than insisting that I or my hypothetical puppetmasters have something to gain from the status quo to argue your point.’
- ‘Presumably, imminently, the next step will be the eradication of the old Abbey name to be replaced by that of their Spanish buyout puppetmasters.’
- ‘But the real puppetmaster in the Railtrack scandal is the Chancellor himself, both through Vadera and his direct instructions and consultations.’
- ‘The ultimate puppet master is finally revealed in the refugee affair, their script being followed to the letter by all players.’
- ‘Note that we don't intend to elect the puppet-masters themselves, they're not popular.’
- ‘The puppet masters appear to hope that the Government of India will wilt under terrorist pressure.’
- ‘During those turbulent years, some politicians and their henchmen were the puppet masters.’
- ‘Robertson, soulless puppetmaster that he is, says that the plans are just games.’
- ‘Yet everyone knows the G8 is just a photo-call by the puppets, not a meeting of the puppet-masters.’
- ‘We expose the puppetmasters, and their policies, behind this paradoxical mass addiction to something nearly everyone hates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.