Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a larva) become a pupa.‘about ten days after pupating the wild silk moths hatch’
- ‘After hatching, the larvae grow for three or four weeks and then pupate.’
- ‘Firefly larvae pupate in late spring within an igloo-shaped underground chamber.’
- ‘Each colony consists of up to several hundred siblings that remain together for nearly a year, pupating as a group and then transforming into butterflies while still sequestered in the nest.’
- ‘When the larvae hatch, she will feed them chewed-up caterpillars until they are ready to pupate.’
- ‘Between ten and twelve days later the worker dies as the parasitic larvae pupate inside its body.’
- ‘Juvenile thrips molt through two stages, or instars, before pupating.’
- ‘Next spring, the larvae pupate and emerge in late May or early June as beetles that live 2 to 4 weeks.’
- ‘Larvae pupate in the seed and emerge as adults from late September to November.’
- ‘The wasp pupates within the host integument and, in the Åland islands, emerges as an adult in June while the host butterflies are adults.’
- ‘The larvae enter the host, feed, and grow, and after approximately 7-10 days they emerge and pupate, killing the cricket.’
- ‘After the third week all mines were left covered until the larvae pupated, at which time the leaves were picked and placed in corked glass tubes, and reared in an outside insectary.’
- ‘A larva moves to the edge of a leaf before it pupates, and the leaf curls around the pupa.’
- ‘Fifth instar caterpillars pupate under rocks or in the litter beneath host plant patches in mid-June to mid-July.’
- ‘After reaching the 4th instar, the larva pupates and, later, transforms into an adult that is ready to emerge from the seed.’
- ‘Eventually these larvae pupated later without mortality, leaving behind severely damaged plants.’
- ‘After approximately three weeks of feeding in the spring, they pupate and emerge as adults about 10 days later.’
- ‘Eventually the parasitic caterpillar pupates, later emerging as an adult butterfly.’
- ‘Larvae pupate in the soil and adults emerge from mid-July to August.’
- ‘Last-instar larvae pupated on the branches of the trees.’
- ‘In both years, the brood and the queens were frozen when the brood had pupated.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.