One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘More tobacco industry litigation and settlements are expected to punitively punish the tobacco industry for long-term misrepresentation of the health risks associated with smoking.’
- ‘Mr Ingram said: ‘The judge punitively and vindictively imposed these defence costs.’’
- ‘I feel that such a licence should be priced at a punitively high level - â10, 000 per year is what I picked from the air, but that's only a ball-park figure.’
- ‘‘He has no trouble speaking off the cuff when he's speaking punitively, when he's talking about violence, when he's talking about revenge,’ Miller told Whyte.’
- ‘The judge knew we had all these debts and yet he punitively and vindictively imposed these defence costs on us as well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.