One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an act) subject to a judicial punishment.‘a criminal offence punishable by up to three years in jail’‘a punishable offence’
illegal, unlawful, illegitimate, criminal, felonious, actionable, prosecutable, indictable, penal, blameworthy, dishonest, fraudulent, unauthorized, unsanctioned, outlawed, banned, forbidden, barred, prohibited, interdicted, proscribedView synonyms
- ‘In Victoria, begging is a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment under the Vagrancy Act.’
- ‘That is dishonorable and punishable by death, if you follow the old samurai credo!’
- ‘Instead, they face charges of criminal mischief, punishable by up to two years in the penitentiary.’
- ‘If such information is leaked to overseas media, this may be a criminal act punishable by imprisonment.’
- ‘Caging and displaying parrots and parakeets is illegal and punishable by a fine and up to five years in prison.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.