One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The marks, such as full stop, comma, and brackets, used in writing to separate sentences and their elements and to clarify meaning.‘you will notice that no punctuation is used’‘satisfactory standards of handwriting, spelling, grammar, and punctuation’
punctuation marks, pointsView synonyms
- ‘However, the reverse is not true: if a spoken text is written down, the position of many tone-group boundaries cannot be marked by punctuation.’
- ‘Of course the rules of grammar and punctuation add to an understanding of the text, that can't be denied.’
- ‘Winter might last only one day - a minor punctuation in a long sentence of heat.’
- ‘He stood straight up from his task on the deck of his boat, a mark of punctuation for his words.’
- ‘I've never liked putting closing punctuation inside quotation marks.’
- ‘The comma thing does make me aware how much I use punctuation in general and commas specifically for intonation in my writing.’
- ‘There are no back slashes nor punctuation to mark the end of the assignment.’
- ‘Now with the typed word and quick messages, that measure is simply the ability to use proper grammar and punctuation.’
- ‘I will insist on writing in proper sentences and using proper punctuation.’
- ‘Team leaders randomly listen into calls to assess the emotions conveyed, accent, alertness, grammar and punctuation.’
- ‘Be careful about your use of punctuation, particularly exclamation points.’
- ‘Sadly these days, the problem is not really just one of bad punctuation but of bad writing in general.’
- ‘It was obviously a well thought out text, it even had punctuation - well a full stop.’
- ‘The grammar and punctuation in these messages is appalling, and the spelling is what I've come to expect from the comprehensive system these days.’
- ‘Attention to grammar, punctuation, spelling and style is expected.’
- ‘As a former teacher I can state that verbal literacy did not come from numerous lessons in grammar, punctuation, spelling and usage.’
- ‘The writing collapses into incoherent ranting, lacking grammar or punctuation.’
- ‘I support and uphold the norms of standard written English in spelling, punctuation, word usage and grammar.’
- ‘It reviews the parts of speech and teaches the parts of a sentence and punctuation.’
- ‘In the realm of punctuation, a comma is used for a brief pause, a semicolon for a more moderate pause, and a period as a full stop.’
Rapid or sudden speciation, as suggested by the theory of punctuated equilibrium.
Mid 17th century: from medieval Latin punctuatio(n-), from the verb punctuare (see punctuate).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.