One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Studded with or denoting dots or tiny holes.‘strong punctate staining of the cell surface’‘shell layers may be punctate’
- ‘Like cholinergic urticaria, variant exercise-induced anaphylaxis produces small, punctate, erythematous papules and is associated with increased plasma histamine levels.’
- ‘The mass had a pink, shiny, and slightly lobulated cut surface with focal, punctate, light yellow calcifications and irregular, white, fibrous streaks.’
- ‘The rash begins as finely punctate erythema on the superior trunk and face two to three days after the onset of illness.’
- ‘Some patients have target-like lesions, with each lesion consisting of a central punctate hemorrhage surrounded by circumferential regions of pallor and hemorrhage.’
- ‘Examination revealed numerous punctate depressions limited to the fingers and creases of the palms of the hands.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin punctum ‘point’ + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.