One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, edible brightly coloured freshwater fish of the sunfish family, native to North America. It is popular in aquaria and has been introduced into many European waters.
Lepomis gibbosus, family Centrarchidae
- ‘Out back of the house, oak, hemlock and cedar trees crown a path toward a 30-acre lake stocked with largemouth bass, yellow perch, pumpkinseed sunfish, and more.’
- ‘In the pumpkinseed sunfish, parental care is provided exclusively by males, but some males parasitize others by sneaking fertilizations.’
- ‘The pumpkinseed sunfish, Lepomis gibbosus, was used in New Hampshire experiments and the spotted sunfish, Lepomis punctatus in the Florida experiments.’
- ‘Human beings are simply more aware of it than is the average prairie dog or pumpkinseed sunfish.’
- ‘Panfish comprise the black crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, rock bass, white crappie, and yellow perch.’
- ‘Some of the common fish species include the freshwater drum, sheepshead, lake sturgeon, spotted suckers, common red-horse, and pumpkinseed.’
- ‘The day after the bluegills spawned, Neff dangled a container with a pumpkinseed sunfish, which preys on eggs and fry, and scored the ferocity of the dads' defense.’
- ‘In Lake Opeongo, observed predators were in the water column: smallmouth bass, yellow perch, and pumpkinseed.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.