One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fire engine that carries a hose and pumps water.
- ‘It allows concrete pumpers to manage their daily dispatch responsibilities, report on productivity, and manage invoicing, equipment, and contracts.’
- ‘Darrell is a septic-tank pumper who drives his honey wagon to rural residences to haul away human waste.’
- ‘When I was a boy my big dream was to be the chief gas pumper at the local Texaco.’
- ‘Except to power the organ, of course: little boys are not the expert organ pumpers that they used to be.’
- ‘Motorway pumpers don't want flimsy or demure, we need dairy-farm efficiency - something bulky and rubberised.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.