One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fire engine that carries a hose and pumps water.
- ‘Except to power the organ, of course: little boys are not the expert organ pumpers that they used to be.’
- ‘It allows concrete pumpers to manage their daily dispatch responsibilities, report on productivity, and manage invoicing, equipment, and contracts.’
- ‘Motorway pumpers don't want flimsy or demure, we need dairy-farm efficiency - something bulky and rubberised.’
- ‘Darrell is a septic-tank pumper who drives his honey wagon to rural residences to haul away human waste.’
- ‘When I was a boy my big dream was to be the chief gas pumper at the local Texaco.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.