One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A room, building, or compartment in which pumps are housed or from which they are controlled.
- ‘It includes a large kitchen, with its range and original fittings intact, bakery, pump room, cold store, wine cellars, silver vault, workshop, housekeeper's and other bedrooms.’
- ‘The pump room couldn't raise enough pressure, and we burned fuel as fast as we took it on.’
- ‘One of the two huge Stother and Pitt cranes has been sold, while no-one yet knows what will happen to the 40-tonne lock gates or the still-operational pump room.’
- ‘She said water went into the pump rooms causing electrical problems which resulted in the pumps not being activated.’
- ‘But just before the builder was to begin work on that unit, they contacted me and said there was a pump room on the roof right over it.’
- ‘It may also be necessary to build two separate fire pump rooms and redundant sprinkler systems.’
- ‘We also put a deck around the shaft and use the deck to hide the pump room.’
- ‘On the main deck, the hull is arranged with forepeak, hydraulic pump room, accommodation section and fish handling area.’
- ‘Stumbling to the pump room I was stopped by a large notice on the door which read ‘DO NOT ENTER.’’
- ‘The pool is nice but has an underground pump room that has been exceptional snake habitat for many years.’
- ‘The swimming pool measures 6.9 metres by 11.75 metres and this part of the house also includes a steam room, patio doors to the deck area and a pump room.’
- ‘Not long ago, Hydrovac was called upon to install an underground pump room for stormwater drains at a condominium building in Deerfield Beach, Florida.’
- 1.1 A room at a spa where medicinal water is dispensed.
- ‘This month, the pump room at Strathpeffer will reopen to the public.’
- ‘Last month council officials halted the water supply to the pump room after discovering that leaks in the old borehole meant that visitors were mainly drinking rainwater.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.