Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pump-action rifle with a tubular magazine.
- ‘A pump gun is the classic action for woods hunting, and the magazine gun can be unplugged when hunting non-migratory game such as squirrels.’
- ‘But if you have a spare pump gun to convert or even a sporter that could be converted into a handy tactical model during the off-season, it's easier than ever.’
- ‘There is also the widespread belief that the sound of a pump gun cycling its first round into the chamber tends to freeze bad guys.’
- ‘In the old days, it was argued that a good man could work a pump gun faster than he could fire an autoloader.’
- ‘The lawman in the foreground is wielding a long-barrel, camouflage-finished, 12-gauge pump gun against the offenders.’
- ‘I swirled around, and there's Justin holding his big water pump gun, right at me.’
- ‘While opening a box of clay birds and getting a hand trap ready, I heard him load shells into the magazine of his pump gun and rack the slide to chamber a round.’
- ‘The shotgun's bottom ejection makes it more weatherproof than conventional pump guns and provides easy handling for left and right-handed shooters alike.’
- ‘Back in 1908 Remington wanted something to compete with Winchester's famed Model 94 but the faster, smoother operation of a pump gun had a lot of advantages.’
- ‘It reminds me of another story of a seasoned trapshooter who had a similar point of impact problem with a new pump gun.’
- ‘Trying to juggle a pump gun in one hand, a flashlight in the other and open a door, can be tough at all the wrong moments.’
- ‘When my customers look at the alternative pump guns available for the same money, they sell themselves all over again,’ Peacock said.’
- ‘The new riot gear includes American style 12-bore pump guns, translucent poly-carbonate shields, elbow and shin guards and protective clothing.’
- ‘There is nothing more intimidating than the sound of a pump gun racking a shell.’
- ‘The next step-up in scattergun difficulty is the conventional pump gun.’
- ‘It's very difficult for him to get two guns, especially the pump gun.’
- ‘In addition, he secreted his own Remington 870 12 gauge pump gun where he could reach it near the door to his office.’
- ‘This is not the procedure for an inexpensive off-the-rack pump gun, but the shooter wanting the best from a quality double gun might justify the tab.’
- ‘While common in semi-autos, the cut-off is a real innovation in a pump gun and a welcome improvement.’
- ‘I know cops who stopped trusting Remington 870 pump guns the day they started coming with a key lock integrated with the safety button.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.