Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The activity of preaching or sermonizing.
religious teaching, instruction, messageView synonyms
- ‘He must inspire, exhort, sermonize, edify, or warn, resort to pulpitry in general.’
- ‘Nature is generalized, rendered abstract, and interpreted consistently in a spirit of sanctimonious pulpitry.’
- ‘Grandstanding in the United Nations and empty pulpitry is not going to alter the logic of recent global developments.’
- ‘The pap and nonsense of a sentimental pulpitry, art, and literature.’
- ‘It can be tough when your father, the prime minister, has just indulged in pulpitry about drunken yobs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.